Terms of Business
Equal Opportunities Policy
A) STATEMENT OF POLICY
1) We recognise that discrimination is unacceptable and although equality of opportunity has been a long standing feature of our employment practices and procedure, we have made the decision to adopt a formal equal opportunities policy. Breaches of the policy will lead to disciplinary proceedings and, if appropriate, disciplinary action.
2) The aim of the policy is to ensure no job applicant, employee or worker is discriminated against either directly or indirectly on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
3) We will ensure that the policy is circulated to any agencies responsible for our recruitment and a copy of the policy will be made available for all employees and made known to all applicants for employment.
4) The policy will be communicated to all private contractors reminding them of their responsibilities towards the equality of opportunity.
5) The policy will be implemented in accordance with the appropriate statutory requirements and full account will be taken of all available guidance and in particular any relevant Codes of Practice.
6) We will maintain a neutral working environment in which no employee or worker feels under threat or intimidated.
B) RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION
1) The recruitment and selection process is crucially important to any equal opportunities policy. We will endeavour through appropriate training to ensure that employees making selection and recruitment decisions will not discriminate, whether consciously or unconsciously, in making these decisions.
2) Promotion and advancement will be made on merit and all decisions relating to this will be made within the overall framework and principles of this policy.
3) Job descriptions, where used, will be revised to ensure that they are in line with our equal opportunities policy. Job requirements will be reflected accurately in any personnel specifications.
4) We will adopt a consistent, non-discriminatory approach to the advertising of vacancies.
5) We will not confine our recruitment to areas or media sources which provide only, or mainly, applicants of a particular group.
6) All applicants who apply for jobs with us will receive fair treatment and will be considered solely on their ability to do the job.
7) All employees involved in the recruitment process will periodically review their selection criteria to ensure that they are related to the job requirements and do not unlawfully discriminate.
8) Short listing and interviewing will be carried out by more than one person where possible.
9) Interview questions will be related to the requirements of the job and will not be of a discriminatory nature.
10) We will not disqualify any applicant because he/she is unable to complete an application form unassisted unless personal completion of the form is a valid test of the standard of English required for the safe and effective performance of the job.
11) Selection decisions will not be influenced by any perceived prejudices of other staff.